"In that case, I'm a black guy"

Sunday 26 February 2012

DKA Game Day Disaster

Well, game day went very poorly for me, but at least there were some cool stories.  I went 2-2 in standard on the first day with Esper Control.  I swapped four cards around for Sunday's games and went 1-3.  Control is just too hard to build right now, at least that how i'm finding it.  In limited I drafted black/white both times - making a total of four black/white decks in five drafts.  Both my decks seemed really good: Saturday had two Lingering Souls, Sunday had a Sorin.

Anyway, enough wound licking, more story-telling.  In the third round of Sunday's standard event, i was tied at 1-1 against a homebrew Grixis Heartless deck.  The game was largely stalled out and he was beating me down with a Perilous Myr, ignoring my Karn who was ready to restart at any time.  My confusion was cleared when he hit me down to five and cast a Devil's Play, neatly playing around my Mana Leak.  With Devil's on the stack, i cast a think twice and naturally drew a second Leak.  Oh, incidentally, i only play two total Mana Leaks, but i was due some luck. It doesn't end there, though.  I -14'ed Karn and, amusingly, villain didn't scoop.  I got to play a turn one Gideon and, unsurprisingly, won in no time.

In the draft, I was watching two other people play after my game.  Player 1 cast a Tree of Redemption, passes the turn.  Player 2 made a dude and passed.  Played 1 draws, looks at the board, pauses, and giggles to himself.  He casts Travel Preperations and flashes it back, putting two counters on his tree.  If you don't instantly see why that's a funny story, i'll spell it out: tap the tree, go to 15, the tree becomes a 0/20 with two counters on it.  Next turn, untap, tap the tree, go up to 22 and the tree becomes a 15/15 with +2/+2.  The first game ended with just three minutes on the round, meaning the ridiculous Tree "combo" player won 1-0.

In my own third round game, i managed to resolve Sorin and started ticking him up.  I felt fairly stable, until villain cast a Markov Blademaster and hit me down to three.  Sorin was on six, though, so i felt okay, despite him having a Skirksdag Cultist.  I ultimated Sorin, targetting Cultist, Blademaster and a Manor Skeleton, leaving him with a Zombie token and a One-eyed Scarecrow.  Except... he sacrificed the blademaster to shoot the cultist, giving me a pathetic looking skeleton and a pair of vampire tokens.  I lost, but i still think it was the right play, although maybe i should've taken the more defensive scarecrow.

Overall, a deeply disappointing weekend, but one full of incident and amusing anecdotes.  And, hey, a Sorin!  Maybe i can trade towards a new standard deck, because Esper Control really isn't working out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment