"In that case, I'm a black guy"

Wednesday 25 January 2012

24/1/12 Cube Update

Hey, so, I have a commons/uncommons cube.  It's been an ongoing persuit for about a year now.  It started with quite a few medicore cards due to my limited collection of old stuff but building and pimping it over the months (and continuing, no doubt) has quickly become one of my favourite Magic-related hobbies.  The admin work that goes along with it has, perhaps sadly, become almost as enjoyable as playing with it.  Anyway, with that in mind, I decided it might be fun to post whenever I make a large update and explain my reasoning.  Maybe it will help fellow cubists, or maybe it will just be completely self-indulgent, but here goes...


Black
Fume Spitter > Dismember
Shrivel > Infernal Harvest
Giant Scorpion > Boneshredder
Ruthless Cullblade > Snuff Out
Wicked Reward > Reanimate
Crypt Ripper > Dread Return
Footbottom Feast > Animate Dead

As you can probably see, a lot of this is just routine maintenance.  My old card pool is severely lacking and so a fair few cube staples are missing.  Most of the choices are obvious: mediocre creatures replaced by must-have cube cards; medicore spells replaced by far superior ones.  Nothing all that exciting, but at least the sweet Premium Series foils look suh-weet!

Blue
Dispel > Mystical Teachings
Runeboggle > Capsize
Force Spike > Willbender
Again, some regular mainenance, but you might notice that all of the 'outs' are conditional counterspells.  Counterspells are not as good in limited anyway, and I find that almost nobody uses the conditional ones.  Even Spell Pierce, which I like much more than these three, is ready to be chopped when I come across something better.  The replacements are fairly obvious inclusions which, again, I just didn't have access to when I first built the cube.

Green
Snake Umbra > Rancor
Territorial Baloth > Harmonize
Wild Nacatl > Eternal Witness
Snake Umbra was basically a deliberate substitute for Rancor until I got hold of one, not much to say there.  Harmonize was something I always wanted to add but seemed to always forget when I was cube shopping.  Finally traded for one so in it goes.  Eternal Witness was a similar story, except now I have a sweet FNM promo one.  Wild Nacatl seemed like an easy exchange since, without duals or even fetches, it's not very good.  Printing some proxy duals and fetches for my cube is something i've considered, but i don't know how much they'd swing the balance in favour of the guy who has them.

No comments:

Post a Comment