"In that case, I'm a black guy"

Monday 10 October 2011

Sexiest Plays of Innistrad so far

Innistrad has been playable for a few weeks now, and the response has been universally positive in my experience.  The flavour is probably the best ever, the cards are fun, and as a limited format it has been very enjoyable so far.  Having drafted the format a few times I've already had a handful of fun/silly plays, so let's count 'em.

Snap Pick: Last Wednesday I finally managed to open a Snapcaster Mage - yeah, i was pretty happy about it.  However, I was drafting from my fatpack and fell prey to the urge to rare draft for value.  I ended up with a three colour deck, and Owen convinced me to play a single Plains to flashback my Unburial Rites.  I got crushed in match one, got a bye in match two, and then the magic happened in match three.  Up 1-0, I had milled Devil's Play and was only running two Mountains (yeah, this was a SWEET deck!).  I'm pretty far ahead on-board, but I can only swing with my Invisible Stalker and he's on eight life.  Then I draw Tiago Chan: sweet.  Swing for one unblockable, put you to seven; cast Snappy, flashback Devil's Play with my one in-play Mountain with X = seven.  Fun times.


SlowIf you say so: The general consensus has been that Innistrad is a fairly typically slow limited format.  But yesterday I had a turn five kill and, messed up a turn six kill and almost killed on turn six off a mulligan to four.  Yeah, I was red and yeah my opponent did little-to-nothing, but it was pretty fun... for me.

Turn one: Reckless Waif, go. 
Him: Plains go.
Turn two: flip the Waif, swing for three (17), cast Village Ironsmith.
Him Forest go.
Turn three: flip the Ironsmith, swing for six (11)
Him: chump blocker, go
Turn four: swing for six, gets blocked (8)
Him: chump blocker, I Brimstone Volley his face (5)
Turn five: Swing for six, one guy gets blocked (2), Bump in the Night (-1)

So, yeah, it's possible but won't happen all that often.

Could've, but didn't: Back to my four-colour monstosity for a moment. I had the opporunity to make a ridiculous but ultimately pointless play against the same guy.  Snappy and Devil's Play are both in my graveyard thanks to Trepidation Blade.  I draw Unburial Rites with eight lands on-board.  So the fancy but uselesss play; cast Rites (three lands untapped), put Snappy in play (one land untapped), flashback Devil's Play for zero!  Sweet, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment